Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January Monthly Update

January was chock full of knitting for me! I'm really happy with how much I got done. I think I managed to knit every single day. That is exactly what I was going for. I finished a bunch of projects. I started a bunch of projects. I ignored a few projects... Hopefully, I'll have fewer ignored projects next month.

FOs:

  • Makariri Shawl KAL - I loved this project! You can read my full write up here.


  • Dragon Lace Scarf Test Knit - This is my first test knit that I took on despite having a ton of other stuff happening, but it moved along quickly! Full write up is here.

  • 5 Shawls, 5 Days Challenge - I am really enjoying the things that Aroha Knits is putting out. Going into this year I didn't think designing was something I wanted to do, but this was an extremely inspiring challenge. It was very hard to stick to the pattern and not immediately start playing with the design. I'm looking forward using the skills I learned in future projects. My full recap is here.

  • Emergency Wedding Mittens - These took on a life of their own... However, I got three pairs made and I developed a pattern that I really like for mittens. That write up is here.
  • Big Squish Brown Brioche Scarf - Well this present was only a month late... Especially considering that I had to frog it completely half way through due to a dumb mistake. Pro tip: Don't drink and knit. Luckily it is a quick knit and I got it all done.

  • Project Peace Cowl - Oh, this cowl... It was a KAL for three weeks in December. The theory being that you would knit one four row repeat of the pattern every day. I did ok for a week or so and then I got distracted by something shiny... I was sure I wasn't going to finish it this month, but then I did! I don't quite hate it, but I don't want to look at it for a while...


WIPs:

  • Ongoing Papa Slippers - 9.6% - This is only a WIP because I'm making 52 over the year. I'm on track with five slippers made! I gave dad the first two right away. 

  • Leafy Fingerless Gloves - 35% - Yikes. Forgot about these...  The pattern is a 24 row pattern and each row is different... I set them down in December to work on some Christmas gifts and the KAL. I should really finish these up so I can wear them.  

  • Crazy Quilt Mystery Socks MKAL - Clue 1 Complete - This only started on the 26th so it's a forgivable WIP. I haven't done a pair of socks in a while and I've never done it toe up so that was a learning experience.

  • Reyna Shawl - 30% - I finally found a project for this yarn! I've tried a few things and nothing has worked out in a way I liked. I started this because I was waiting for MKAL patterns to come out and apparently I felt that more WIPs were a great idea instead of finishing this one... I like this pattern a lot. I can see myself making a lot of these.


Winter's Whisper Shawl MKAL - Clue 1 Complete - What is it with designers releasing clues early this month? This one was release a few days early so I took advantage of that and knit it up. It has lace, beading, nupps and cables. Lots going on. I haven't done cables in a while so that was a bit of a learning curve. I've never done beading before so I added some to the first clue just to wrap my head around it. My yarn is a bit dark and more heathered than I had realized so the design is pretty subtle.


Overall I'd say that January was a pretty successful knitting month! I am also working on designing some project bags and that is going well. Hopefully I will be able to share more of that later. I am starting a new job this week so February may not be quite as prolific.

No comments:

Post a Comment