Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Emergency Wedding Mittens Recap

Well, the wedding is this weekend. I handed over three pairs of mittens early last week to the boyfriend's mom and have heard nothing about it since. They turned out pretty well all things considered and I think I have a pretty good start of a mitten design to boot.


I was pretty worried when I was handed a bulky yarn and a worsted yarn. However, holding the worsted yarn double for the cuff worked out pretty well. It gave a nice firm fit around the wrist which I think is important in a mitten. I do not want cold air sneaking in there. The whole project was knit on size five double points. This made the fabric quite thick and stiff, but I liked it for the mittens.

The original pattern was Warm Wooly Mittens #51 by Theresa Gaffey. I kept the cuff the same, but there were a lot of changes after that point. The Gaffey pattern has a round decrease for the top. I'm not a huge fan of those so I did decreases along the sides and used the kitchener stitch to connect the top for a smooth finish. They're a little more structured, but I think they're cute.

Unfortunately the structured decrease meant I had to design my pattern for right and left hand mittens. I was super hopeful that it wasn't noticeable and I could get away with making them all the same, but even The Boy could tell. I'm just glad I thought of that before I knit all of them.

I went through two revisions of the pattern I made on these and I think it might need one more as well as figuring out different sizes. The pattern as written fit my mother perfectly so I think I'll make one more as is for her and figure out any changes I want to make.

Things I learned from this project:

  • Sometimes working with only the materials you are given can result in good things. If I had been given any say in yarn selection I probably would have just made the original pattern with no problem. However, I wouldn't have my own mitten pattern then.
  • Thumb gussets are weird and I am not sure that I'm completely happy with the one I have yet.
  • I'm a perfectionist... At least about a few things. I really wanted to say "Give me all the yarn! I'll make all five pairs!" It kind of bugs me that there are two pairs made by another person that will not match mine... If it was someone I knew getting married or I was getting paid for it I would have pushed more. 
  • Despite everything I kind of like the combination of worsted and bulky yarn in these mittens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment